The Bloomfield Group is a proud and successful Australian mining and engineering group.
Australian owned and operated, we have been part of the community for more than 80 years and now employ more than 600 local people.
Our success has been built on a simple desire to seek excellence in all we do, respecting our history as we shape our future.
Underpinning our approach are our company values: WE CARE. WE DELIVER.
We respect and care about the safety and wellbeing of our people, our local community and the environment. We work together with integrity to deliver safety, operational best practice, customer satisfaction and compliance.
The Bloomfield Group has been part of the Hunter for more than 80 years.
- 1860s – First references to Four Mile Creek and Bloomfield Coal when John Mitchell names his new Colliery after Lieutenant Thomas Valentine Bloomfield, an early landholder in the Hunter region.
- 1887 – 1916 – The Colliery is operated by the Fitzpatrick family.
- 1937 – Roy Cant moves from Dudley to Four Mile Creek to take over lease which he names Bloomfield South.
- 1940s – Two subsidiary companies, Northern Waggons and Maitland Timber and Carrying are established to support the colliery operations.
- 1950s – Paul and Peter Cant join their father Roy at the operation.
- 1955 – Bloomfield becomes one of the earliest companies to sell coal to post-war Japan, laying the foundations of a rewarding relationship that continues today.
- 1960s – Paul Cant leads development of the colliery and its entry into open cut mining.
- 1990 – First operations commence at Rix’s Creek, northwest of Singleton.
- 2012 – Bloomfield celebrates 75 years in business.
- 2015 – The group purchases the Integra mine adjacent to its Rix’s Creek South operation, naming it Rix’s Creek North.
We are proud of our history and incredibly appreciative of the many people who have helped build the business. With our long history, many of these individuals are now retired; however their stories and experiences with Bloomfield are captured in a series of interviews with broadcaster Garth Russell. Click the names below to hear their stories: